β€Ί

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guidelines!

BrackeysBrackeys Administrator
edited May 2020 in Announcements

Hello coders, designers and other gaming enthousiasts!

This is a guide to help you get more answers and reactions in your topics.

If you follow these guidelines your question should be resolved more quickly, I can give no guarantee though.

So let’s go ahead:

1. Be specific.

We can’t help if you say something like ‘I want to create this game, so how do I do that?’. Instead ask us something like ‘Would it be better to use a rigidbody or custom scripting for playermovement?’.

2. We are here to help, not as your script take-away.

If you want a specific script, go ahead and make it. If you need help, you know where to find us.

3. Use google first.

There’s a great chance that you’re not the first to encounter your problem and someone might have asked about it before. If you can’t find anything or you’re still not sure on how to tackle your problem, go ahead and open a topic.

4. If you have a problem with coding, be sure you follow the following lines:

1. Be sure to include the code where the problem arises. Not the entire script, just the import stuff.
  2. Use code tags for your code, which are located on the right side of the bar with the Bold, Italic, underline, etc. buttons on it. It looks like : ‘< >'.
  3. Tell us that the error message(s) is, if any.
  4. Say what language you're using. Most experienced coders can see what it is, but for novice programmers it's good to know.

5. If you want to show your game, then actually show something.

Provide screenshots, the storyline or even a demo! Make us want to play your game.

6. We expect you to put effort in your own problem.

Tell us what you’ve tried yourself and what you think the problem might be.

7. Don’t bump your topic within 24 hours.

You won’t reach anything with it and it’s just generally annoying. After a day has passed, it’s fine to bump.

8. Show a picture with visual problems.

It’s good to describe a visual glitch/bug/problem, but it’s even better to show it! You can show an image by clicking the image button in the text editor. Don’t worry, it’s not disabled. Just paste the link in the box at the righthand side. (The link has to end with .jpg/.png/.gif/etc..)

These are just guide-lines, not actual rules. They cannot be enforced, but you should use them for your own good. If you feel like someone needs some help with his topic, just link this page so he can improve it with these tips.

If you have any suggestions, comments or critique, just reply. I would love some of your feedback.

Thanks for reading, and happy coding!

Comments

• HaydothHaydoth Member

Nice guidelines! i'll be sure to follow them.

• SeanSean Member

These guidelines are fair. I think not ripping on someone for not doing the proper research is also important so that new members are not discouraged. Another development forum (not going to say which one) has a specific phrase anyone can copy and paste if they haven’t done their research. “We would love to help you where we can. Please read the guidelines on researching your problem first as the answer is already out there or we are going to need more information before we can lend a hand”. Doesn’t have to be that specific, but it is a nice way to put it. Just typing out my thoughts here.

• jtok4jjtok4j Member

Thank-you for these guidelines.

I would suggest that perhaps the bold/normal font styles be looked into, as it's a bit hard to differentiate between the two.

(Meaning, the bold doesn't stand out very much. )

Keep on Creating,

Justin of JustinTime Studio (Unity3d.Expert)

• I think Sean is right it would be nice if you dont discourage new people and begginners because they would probably dont understand a lot of what you are saying and you might get pissed off but thats not a reason to help someone that need help to do something or maybe understand exactly his problem so he can search it himself and not just take the script right away.

Typing my thoughs also.Good luck with this forum this is a big step for Brackeys I think πŸ˜€

• ghostghost Member

Cool πŸ‘πŸ½ Also I can’t wait for this forum to blast off. Looking forward to spending my time here.

• AnirbanAnirban Member

Let's code

• Cool😢

• Thanks for setting this up!!

• haashirhaashir Member

Many Thanks for this information. I have found this quite useful

• AdityaAditya Member

Thanks for the information πŸ‘πŸ‘. It's quite useful for beginners like me😁😁

• Splendid!

• MKdevMKdev Member
    edited May 2020

Ok sir we will follow the rules,love from India

• I think we also shouldn't correct spelling mistake. If we understand, just aceept. Unless if you have doubt like I wrong jamobject instead of gameobject. Then of course. I don't know if it's right thing. But, I feel to post

• I know nothing at all but Im here to learn, thanks for the site.

• LehipLehip Member

so, when someone comments on guidelines:

every member of this forum gets notification? Because i get when people comment on guidelines

• I did not get one

• LehipLehip Member

i did get one for your comment.

• tikotiko Member

Good ole' poppa brackeys coming through with the slickness

• Hey can anyone give me a suggestion that I should download unity on 4gb ram pc.

• Read and understood!

• Appreciate the guidelines, will make sure to follow, though i dont understand what point 7 means

• @Leaflo Heya! ^^

It's about a month after you asked, but this is basically what "bumping" is, I believe.

When you reply to a post in any section of the forum, that post will be pushed to the top of the list, showing that it's still active/relevant or something.

"Bumping", I believe, basically describes the act of replying to a post with the intention of pushing it to the top!

However, I think a reason bumping shouldn't be done within 24 hours of posting a, well, post, is that your post being pushed to the top might overshadow someone else's post, or something!

I hope this helps! ^^

• hey guys how do i send you a demo?

• Awesome!